Saturday 3 May 2008

Saturn occultation, 03 Nov. 2001...


I've always found these events fascinating. The occultation of Saturn by the Moon on 3rd. Nov. 2001 gave me an opportunity to try and image the event. The technique was quite simple - I held my digital camera up the a 9mm eyepiece on my VC200L, pressed the button and hoped! I didn't make a record of the exposure time, but the lunar portion of the image came out OK.

It took a lot of playing in Paint Shop Pro to get Saturn to stand out, it being so much dimmer than the illuminated edge of the Moon. A pale band on Saturn is just visible (click on image to get a bigger view).




On the emergence, the contrast (and thus the image processing required) was a lot less extreme. The Cassini division is just visible in Saturn's rings.

I was quite pleased with the results, even though the imaging technique itself was fairly simple.

No comments: