Thursday 5 June 2008

The Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237,8-46)

30 x 180 second subs through a 300mm telephoto lens (another boot sale purchase) of unclear (possibly Russian) make, using an SXV-H9 in 2x2 binned mode and a Astronomik hydrogen alpha filter. I took these during the evening of Feb 3rd. 2007.

The images were calibrated with a master flat but no darks (I applied a mild median filter to the raw subs instead) and then stacked in AIP4Win. I imported the stacked image into Paint Shop Pro and applied a mild "edge preserving smooth" to smooth out a bit of noise and give the monochrome below.

I couldn't resist messing about with layers and colour masks in PSP to give the false colour image above. Click on either image for a bigger version.

I alway think that images of this nebula conjure up a picture of a giant, ghastly skull, with the cluster NGC 2244 nestling in its right eye socket.

No comments: