Thursday 25 September 2008

The Pleiades

Object: Messier 45
Type: Open cluster
Distance: 407 light years
Constellation: Taurus
Date: 09 December 2006
Equipment: SXV-H9, Soligor 200mm telephoto lens
Subframes: 20 x 180s subframes at full resolution, 16 darks, 16 flats/flat darks, calibrated and stacked in AIP4Win.

The stars are rather bloated and I think it may be down to the lens really not being too good in terms of chromatic aberration (see Great Andromeda Nebula). And whilst some of the famed nebulosity is visible, there isn't as much of it as the experts can show us.

Longer subs and colour filters may bring out more detail and sharpen up the stars, and I will give it a try before I give up on this lens.

An afocal view (single one minute exposure) with my old Casio digital camera, afocally coupled to a 25mm eyepice on my Vixen ED 114mm aperture/f5.3 refractor, gave this result in 2004.

No nebulosity, but nice stars.

No comments: