Thursday 13 November 2008

NGC 7380

Object: NGC 7380 (cluster), Sh2-142 (nebula)
Type: Cluster with Bright Nebula
Distance: 10400 light years
Constellation: Cepheus
Date: 11 November 2008
Equipment: SXV-H9, Vixen ED114 refractor (f.l. 600mm)
Subframes: 50 x 150s 2x2 binned in H alpha, 16 darks, 16 flats/flat darks, calibrated and stacked in AIP4Win.

I'd love to be able to say that the above image was a product of LRGB imaging, but after acquiring the H alpha frames that I planned to use as the luminance contribution, clouds started making an appearance, so I decided to call it a night (especially as I had to work next day) and "fake it" in PSP7.

The image below is the "real" monochrome one. North is up. Click on either to enlarge.

Rob Gendler, as ever, shows what someone can achieve with skill and dedication (and some rather nifty equipment). As well as a wonderful image, he also gives us some useful information about one of Caroline Herschel's remarkable discoveries and its associated nebula.


I wasn't too sure that the RGB frames would have worked out too well anyway, given the glare of a moon just a couple of days away from full. Moonlight doesn't seem to trouble imaging through an H alpha filter, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a loss of contrast on the broader band colour filters.

Incidentally, I use an ATIK manual filter wheel, and find that it "leaks light" rather badly, both around the thumbwheel area and through the casing joint itself. I noticed it when I was shooting some flats, but I can get around the problem by wrapping some foil around the edge of the wheel housing and thumbwheel area. Has anyone else come across the same problem?

And talking of equipment, one of the most useful bits I've bought for ages consists of a pair of battery-powered heated insoles for my shoes (£9.99 from Maplin - 50% off until Xmas). It was pretty chilly on Tuesday night while I was setting up, but these little beauties kept my feet toasty warm.

The cold may no longer be an excuse for not imaging during the forthcoming freezing winter evenings!

No comments: